Controls & Automation Technician
Join the Team
Kelowna, BC, CA
Imagine, you come in the morning and start working on a new SCADA system for a brand new product. The next day a client calls with an issue with one of their systems and Service has asked for you to remote connect to a client in Poland and assist troubleshooting. Then you're designing a custom control system for a one-of-kind piece prototype. This is an example of a week in the life of our Intermediate Controls & Automation Technician. Interested? We are looking for an Intermediate Controls & Automation Technician in Kelowna to help create the layout of electrical and mechanical control systems. In this role, you may help program an automation process, modify existing programming when necessary, and help ensure Vitalis Extraction Technology is using the safest and most productive system possible for its needs.
About Vitalis Extraction Technology
Vitalis Extraction Technology engineers, manufactures, and markets supercritical fluid extraction systems used to separate concentrates from organic materials for a wide range of industries including analytics, vitamins/supplements, vanilla, caffeine, ingredient development, GHG protocol, food waste, life sciences, biopharmaceuticals, cannabis, hemp, pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, fragrances and essential oils. While our operations have grown to span five continents – and counting – we are proudly rooted in beautiful Kelowna, BC Canada.
At Vitalis, we treat our employees the way we treat our customers. We embrace diversity and equal opportunity and are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We are looking for professionals that want to join our high-paced and innovative environment that encourages a culture of curiosity, professionalism, resourcefulness, and gratitude.
- Work with input from various parts of the company to identify product opportunities and research methods to solve customer challenges.
- Work “hands-on” with manufacturing to resolve any problems encountered in the fabrication and construction of experimental or production machines
- Execute design projects for prototyping or production.
- Work with Vendors, Subcontractors, and Purchasing to obtain materials and services needed for projects
- Generate technical product specifications (system requirements, cause and effect diagrams)
- Develop user interfaces (HMI/MMI) that are intuitive and easy to follow
- Collaborate with Engineering to develop experimental machine control philosophies
- Program PLC’s and HMI to follow control philosophies developed with engineering
- Design industrial networks (serial and ethernet) based on common network protocols and vendor requirements
- Arrange or perform product testing
- Collaborate and support all the departments including service, engineering, and manufacturing
- Optimize component, product designs for performance, cost, standardization, and manufacturability
- Identify opportunities to eliminate expenses that do not add value to the process or product, and within the scope of authority of the position, implement the reduction
- Assist other departments in preparation of manuals and sales literature on assigned projects
- Maintain knowledge of relevant design and construction codes
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical/ Process Engineering or Electrical / Instrumentation Engineering Technologist Diploma or Journeyman Electrician
- Two or more years of experience with automated systems, system design, and documentation, or other related fields. Experience working at an OEM is considered an asset.
- Ability to create / read / modify electrical diagrams, cause and effects diagrams, P&ID’s
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot all components of an automated system in a manufacturing environment
- Experience programming PLCs in Structured Text, Ladder, Function Block Diagram
- Exposure or working knowledge of Automation Direct, Festo, or Ignition (Inductive Automation) products would be an asset
- Basic knowledge of domestic and international standards and regulations an asset
- Willingness to support and assist in the growth and development of the company and engineering/design department
- Flexibility to adapt to a rapidly evolving and growing environment where responsibilities and position scope may change
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written and desire to collaborate in a team environment
- Must have Canadian citizenship or a Canadian work visa